Wednesday, February 5, 2014

This is my start.
 
After moving forward from my hair ruminations, here is what I have so far set before me to accomplish in this process. 
  • Get a therapist on board. I have a history of Major Depression and I want to maintain my current good mental health throughout this process. This is more of a preventative measure than to solve anything in particular. I did that last week, and am happy to have this in place.  
  • Meditate 10 minutes a day. Silent meditation. Count from 1-10 and then 10-1 with the breath. I do this about 3 times a week, but really want to do it 10. Everything I have ever heard or read about meditation shows its physical, mental and spiritual benefits. It’s a no-brainer, and I’m using this to finally make me develop a consistent Meditation Practice.
  • Exercise more regularly. I am generally active, but like everyone, I sit for too many hours in a row, too many days in a row... Ideally I would be doing a lot, but to begin, I am going to walk one hour 3 times a week. I probably do 15 minute walks 3 times a week, but I need some duration.
  • Understand the current research knowledge on why aneurysms develop, whether there are people pursuing avenues to prevent formation, reduce rupture rates? What’s the deal with the current Western scientific knowledge on aneurysms? Should I be taking any particular vitamins, etc. to “strengthen my vessels”. What does that even mean?
  • Research from a Chinese Medical position what is thinking on the above questions as well.
  • Visit a nutritionist for nutritional counseling related to the above research issues, to learn more about recommendations and knowledge for people with history of aneurysm development, growth and rupture.
  • Develop a “Paper” on my findings, run it by my neurosurgeon (who’s also a professor at UCSD medical school) and get his opinion. Perhaps take him to lunch. Ultimately, I would like to see if there are any broader recommendations or “You might want to consider doing...” for people with a history of aneurysm development, growth and/or rupture. My initial inquiries into all this is that the few resources that exist are scattered, and there is nothing pulled together in this way for people like me. Why not develop that in the process, right? Upwards of 5% of the population have been found to have aneurysms (ranges vary from 2-5%). 30,000 a YEAR have hemorrhagic strokes from aneurysm rupture. The death rates for those 30,000 a YEAR strokes/ruptures are crazy high. If you are lucky to survive you will likely have severe disabilities. Here’s my takehome: This is a condition with very HIGH stakes. And there are 10s and 10s of thousands of people affected by this. I’m totally not alone here, and I think it’d be super helpful for those of us who are lucky to find these suckers before they rupture to have more information. It’s kind of a big deal and it sure would be nice if there’d be more specific information out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim, I really love how optimistic this post feels. I wanted to wish you well on your journey.

    ReplyDelete