Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Brain Surgery Went GREAT!

I wanted to share a short update on how my surgery (August 29) went, and my recovery. 

I'm doing really well. The actual surgery was pretty crazy, I looked and felt terrible at first, but after a week there was a transformation and I started to feel significantly better. I spent 4 days in ICU and then 1 day in a hospital room. And then they booted me out because home is safer than the hospital after you are stabilized because of diseases you can catch at hospital (true story - that's what docs told me!) I was on oxycodone for 1 week after release, and then told to only take Tylenol. Yes, I had headaches for the first 3-4 weeks, but they were normal and bearable. 


My surgeon, Alexander Khalessi was amazing. The procedure was successful and I couldn't be more happy with his work. He didn't even hardly shave any hair! I highly recommend him for neurology issues. My big regret is not taking a picture of my surgery team. Dr. Khalessi and his head "assistant" Doc and the main Anesthesiologist were all really attractive dudes. I should have gotten a picture. Seriously, I had a very good looking team taking care of me. 


I incorporated "alternative medicine" during my hospital stay. I consulted the UCSD hospital Center for Integrative Medicine and with their help was able to arrange some things DURING my hospital experience that really helped. I had Reiki (energy healing) before and at least 4 other times in ICU and hospital room. I don't know much about Reiki, but it felt good, and after surgery it put me to sleep every time, which was difficult because I was in alot of pain and in ICU there was a tremendous amount of noise. In ICU and then again in the hospital room I had acupuncture by Nicholas Duchnowski. Before I went to the hospital I also had acupuncture to benefit my throat and reduce nausea. I had no issues from the tube in my throat anesthesia for 6 hours, and no nausea post procedure. That was really cool because in prior surgeries with the throat anethesia, I have had severe throat pain and nausea after. So I prepared and avoided that.


I also brought BONE broth I made prior to eat while in hospital. They actually brought me a salmon dinner to eat in ICU. I'd just had brain surgery! WTF! I think my regular eating of only broth helped. There's no way I could eat! I could barely open my mouth.


I've had regular acupuncture since released from the hospital. I started an herbal formula 2 weeks after surgery, after I was off all of the Western meds. For herbs I've been seeing Min Fan. For acupuncture I've been seeing 2 acupuncture friends of mine, Nate and Cara. I'm improving rapidly.


My main negative symptoms are: pain (duh) in my head, at the scar site, on my forehead and temple; extreme tiredness; a feeling of cloggedness and reduced hearing in opposite side ear (no explanation known at this point). Overall it's not bad, and I think all the symptoms will subside over time.


The most positive symptom is a complete and utter RELIEF at not having any aneurysms. It is very surreal to live with a bomb that can pop in your head and kill you at any moment. I've been practicing mindfulness and being in the moment for years now. I will continue to do that. But not having the thought  in my head at random moments is really LIBERATING. I literally DON'T think about that awful awful image of what could happen. I don't have to try not to think about it, or calm myself down. I feel elated. I am so fortunate. So very fortunate. 


I'm sure there is more to say, but this is just a brief update. Pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. Cost of Neurosurgery in India - Neurosurgery, a complex medical discipline, involves operating on the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. It addresses critical conditions like brain tumors, aneurysms, spinal disorders, and traumatic injuries. Requiring meticulous precision and extensive knowledge of neuroanatomy, neurosurgeons combine advanced surgical techniques with innovative technology to enhance patient recovery and outcomes. Visit: Brain Tumor Operation Cost in India

    Medical Tourism Company

    ReplyDelete